Recipe: Zoned Muesli
Here is a muesli recipe from Dr. Barry Sears (the Zone Diet guy) that needs preparation the night before, but will save you time in the morning. It makes 4 servings so you will be organized for a few days worth of breakfasts. Plus, my kids love it!
- 1 cup + 2 1/2 tbsp of old-fashioned rolled oats (NOT quick oats);
- 12 almonds, coarsely chopped;
- 12 pecan halves, coarsely chopped;
- 12 walnut halves, coarsely chopped;
- 4 macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped;
- 2 tbsp of raisins;
- 3 whole dried apricots, minced;
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon;
- Four 1-ounce scoops of whey protein powder;
- 2 cups of plain, low-fat yogurt
- 1 small apple, cored and grated;
- 2/3 of a ripe banana
In a dry skillet, over medium-low heat, toast the oats and nut pieces until lightly golden and aromatic, stirring all the while, 3 to 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, toss the oats, nuts, raisins, apricots, spice and protein powder.
Before going to bed, add the yogurt to the oat mixture. Stir, cover and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, prepare the apple and banana. Stir into the muesli. Enjoy!